IT WAS the last thing Francine Ingrassia expected as she and her four children returned to the US after a holiday in AUA.

The woman’s 10-year-old son Luca ate a cashew — and had a near-fatal allergic reaction.
Now the mum hopes to raise awareness and get airlines to change their policy to prevent similar emergencies in the future.

On February 28, the mother from New York took to Facebook to detail the incident on the American Airlines flight, which has since gone viral with more than 2500 reactions and 1500 shares.

“My son had serious anaphylaxis symptoms on our flight home last night,” she wrote in the post.
“He ate one cashew from the nut mix he was served on our flight and within minutes he had severe stomach pain, chest pain and stridor breathing.

“If it was not for the quick-thinking stewardess on the plane, the nurse who administered the EpiPen and cared for him the entire trip and passengers who gave us their EpiPens, this would have been fatal.”
Ms Ingrassia said it was “scary” American Airlines wasn’t equipped to handle the emergency.
“We were not aware of any allergies that our son had with cashews before this flight,” she said.
“The scariest thing was that American Airlines did not have an EpiPen in their medical kits and served nuts on a plane? We need to change this. Shame on American Airlines for not having an EpiPen in their medical kits.”